On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
>   Just learned on www.pcre.org that PCRE 3.7 is out. PHP comes bundled
>   with PCRE 3.4, so we might want to upgrade, won't we?

Thies asked the same question and here is what my response was:

        I looked at it and didn't find a compelling reason to do so. It
        seemed the changes did not really touch any functionality that we
        use.  The only one that seems interesting is removal of 99 capturing
        subpattern limit (up to 65,535 now), but that will require some
        changes in php_pcre.c so I think I'll wait until 3.8 or so.

-Andrei

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish;
and you can sell him fishing equipment.
                                        -Author unknown