ID: 14591
Updated by: mfischer
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Bogus
Bug Type: Arrays related
Operating System: Linux/Windows
PHP Version: 4.1.0
New Comment:

Hartmut, I don't agree with you at all. This is a major BC problem. If case you
haven't checked , PHP 4.0.6 and prior version doesn't change the sort order. I'ld like
to hear what sterling can tell us about this.

Not bogus, Reopened.

well, you can't say that no sorting is needed
in advance as uasort() does not know that
your comparison function is going to return
only zeros

i'm not that deep into qsort implementations
and, yes, i would expect qsort not to swap
elements that are considered equal, but only
for performance reasons ...
(sterling might be able to tell you how and
 why zend_qsort does it internaly)

besides that it is totaly ok that you get
a different element order back as is still
a valid order for your sort criteria

good old "garbage in, garbage out" principle ;)

Hm, I'd rather expect that an array keeps untouched if there is no need to sort it.

and the problem is ...?

by returning all zeros you made perfectly clear
that you don't care about the order of elements
in your array ;)

If you call uasort with a function that always returns 0 (elements equal) you get a
totally screwed array returned.

<?php
function mysort($a, $b)
{
    return 0;
}

$a = array('h', 's', 'i', 'c', 'q', 'm');
var_dump($a);
uasort($a, 'mysort');
var_dump($a);
?>