Even if you repeat it may times, it still wouldn't be a bug.  When I wrote
exit() I intended exit() to print out its argument, regardless of its
type.  It's been behaving like this since PHP 3.0.0 alpha 1, because it was
supposed to behave like that.
The doc team got it wrong, and misdocumented it.
Scripts who will break are scripts that terminate after printing out an
error code.  I have at least one such script, and I'm pretty sure that more
exist, especially in automated environments.

Zeev