mlwmohawk wrote:

> On Friday 21 December 2001 04:36 am, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>This is the last notice before PostgreSQL session save handler
>>module commit.
>>
>>I've renamed it to session_pgsql so that users will understand
>>it's a sub module for session module.
>>
>>I've also changed Makefile.in so that php_session.h is installed.
>>Other headers will be installed. If you care, nobody will object
>>to change it(?)
>>
>>_php_find_ps_module() call should be moved to avoid httpd start
>>up time error message and make external session save handler to
>>work correctly. I'll commit the fix also. (It's *not* a real
>>solution, but it must be addressed now. There are a few bug
>>reports for this already)
>>

> I was thinking about a PostgreSQL session manager. How is that going to work?
> IMHO PostgreSQL (currently) is completely wrong for such a task.

I'm well aware of the issue you mentioned :)

> PostgreSQL has one real behavior problem. Updates act as if you do a delete
> then an insert, i.e. for transactional isolation, an updated row is added
> new, and the old one is marked as deleted. Sessions are all about updates,
> and any really active server cluster will expose PostgreSQL's worst behavior.

I agree. It will slows down thing a *LOT*.

But it's faster than files save handler with proper

administration, I suppose.

> After any serious usage, you will need to vacuum the table. In 7.1, that will
> lock the table and render the system unusable for a few minutes. When 7.2 is
> released, vacuum will not lock the table, but you have to have it running on
> a constant basis.

That's true. Users! you *MUST* run vacuum! As we mentioned, db like
session will slow things down a *lot* without vacuum!

> The only thing I can think of is using the large object interface, and
> storing the unstructured PHP session data as a large object. It may not be as
> fast as regular SQL, but that may eliminate the update problem.

I have to check current implementaion of text/bytea type.
It may be as efficient as large object now. (I think it is, isn't it?)
Thanks for pointing it out. :) I might add your suggestion to
my ToDo list.

BTW, users must vacuume constant basis still! Even I make use
of large object.

The benefit of using pgsql session save handler is users can
add more fields to session record as user needs.
User can use standard I/F (i.e. SQL) I think some people
will like it, even if it is not as fast as msession ;)

Besides, PostgreSQL limitations are really large,
it good for DoS attack or keeping session for a long time, too.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki