At 09:06 PM 12/29/2001 +0000, Jim Winstead wrote:
>Derick Rethans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  Log:
> >  - Added extra parameter to count() that recursively counts elements in an
> >    array and added is_array_multidimensional(). (patch by Vlad Bosinceanu
> >    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
>
>do we really want to perpetuate this idea that a multidimensional array
>is special in some way? i often get the feeling that people just don't
>seem to get that what makes an array 'multidimensional' in php is that
>one array contains other arrays, and things like all the array sorting
>functions don't somehow treat them differently.

I agree with Jim. Arrays can contain "things". Things can also be other
arrays. You can have an array which contains two other arrays and four
integers. I don't think we should add these functions because they are
wrong *especially* the is_array_multidimensional().
Of course, if there's a good reason to have them and we're all convinced
that the reasons are good we could add them.
Can you please roll back that patch and open up a discussion with examples
of why this functionality is needed? It might even lead to a different
solution.

Andi