Hey,

The Zend Engine 2 has made lots of progress.
I think we should have a discussion of what other things besides the
scripting engine we'd like to change for PHP 5.
I know there was talk on deprecating some stuff such as old-style function
names, moving extensions to PECL etc.. I think it's a good time to start
discussing some of these issues (hopefully we can keep things short :)
Also, let's try and keep the scope to realistic changes which won't turn
PHP upside down and which are doable within a relatively short period of
time. I think it'd be really cool if we could get an alpha of PHP 5 out by
Spring.

Unrelated, I'm still waiting to hear exactly what mechanism the PEAR guys
implemented for PECL. I know that if it's not a really cool easy to use
mechanism I would prefer to wait until we write one. One of the main
strengths of PHP is that everything is bundled together and is easy to
setup. We shouldn't make it much harder on people. Although we're planning
on only move the unimportant extensions out of PHP I still think it should
be extremely easy to get a list of available extensions (maybe even a part
of the ./configure process) and to easily download/configure/install them.

Andi