On Wed, 02 Jan 2002 20:39:44 +0200, Andi Gutmans wrote:

>However, if PECL doesn't become everything we hoped for within the next few
>months (possible) I don't think it should stop PHP 5. We could always have 5.1.

At least we could have PHP 6 right after 5 :-).

>Anyway, that's not too important right now. We still haven't heard from
>anyone what work has been done on PECL.

Currently there has not been much work on the PECL installer. Our
current aim is to provide a solid installation procedure for PEAR
components. Installing PECL extensions is a bit trickier IMO: You
have to consider ./configure files, build processes, plugging
configuration directives in php.ini etc.

>I think without a lot of work done
>by many of us here on php-dev it'll probably not gain enough momentum.

+1.

>I suggest we move PECL either to its own mailing list or to php-dev.

+1 for it's own mailing list. Additionally we could perhaps set up
an own CVS module for PECL. (Currently it resides in /pear/PECL.)
Guys?

- Martin

--
  Martin Jansen, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>