ID: 14839
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: *Directory/Filesystem functions
Operating System: Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris
PHP Version: 4.0.5
New Comment:

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" makes it all clear.  I searched all the release
documentation (for all the releases since getcwd() was introduced in
1999) prior to writing this bug for any remarks about this kind of
behavior, but couldn't find anything.

The default behavior for Unix and DOS programs is to run in the CWD, so
programmers tend to expect that of other programs, such as PHP.  As
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" pointed out, this may not be the
most desirable behavior for a Web script.  Since it is contrary to what
most programs do, I'd like to request that the documentation of the
startup behavior of PHP be sure to note this behavior, and that the -C
option be documented a bit more boldly -- at least listed in the release
notes.

Thanks.

Closing the report.

There is nothing wrong with getcwd(). The problem
is that php changes current working directory to
the script's.

This makes sense if you think of CGI scripts,
but makes no sense if you write command line programs.

That's way a new command line switch (-C) was introduced
in PHP 4.1.0 which prevents PHP from chdir'ing into
script's directory.

So changing the first line of your script to

#!/usr/local/bin/php -qC

(and upgrading to 4.1) should fix the problem.

Ok, some comments, if i may.

Firstly, I have verified this behaviour, however (and I could be wrong),
this is not unexpected.

The script executes relavtive to the directory it exists
within, not the directory you are currently in.

I can't particularly explain why, but this kind of makes sense. If you
had a script in some unsafe directory, allowing the moving and deleting
of files, and you could run it in a secured directory, in which the php
process had sufficient access, and affect the files there, would that
not present potential security risks?

Anyhow, i could be wrong, so don't take what i said as corret.

Oh, I suppose you want my configure line, even though it really doesn't
make a difference.  Here it is:

CONFIGURE_COMMAND = './configure' '--with-gd=/usr/local' '--with-mysql'
'--with-openssl' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs'
'--prefix=/usr/local'

This problem was previously reported by someone against PHP 4.0.6 in Bug
ID # 14214.  Latest comment on the that reports says they are going to
close it for lack of information.

This bug has existed in every version of PHP I've used since 1999.  It
fails on Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris.

Both mistaken report the directory which contains the script being run,
NOT the current working directory.

This fails when run from a directory other than where the script is
saved:

#! /usr/local/bin/php -q
<?php
system("pwd");
echo `pwd`;
echo getcwd();
echo "\n";
?>

Under any POSIX-compliant OS, or just about any version of Unix, calling
the getcwd(3) library routine should get the correct result.  It appears
the PHP interpreter startup is changing directories without saving this
value first, since even calling the OS gives incorrect values.