ID: 9266
Updated by: irc-html
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Bug Type: Documentation problem
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: WinMe, Win98, Win2000
PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1
New Comment:

The extensions are all (mostly) listed in a table at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.php#install.windows.extensions
which also lists if the extension is dependent upon a specific library
(another dll).

Most of the extension documentation also lists 'You need xxx to use this
extension', or 'In order to use this extension you need to install xxx',
etc.  I think it is clearly documented in the manual.  A possibility
would be to improve the error message, perhaps 'php_xxx.dll:  This
extension requires xxx library installed', something simliar would be
helpful.

Changing to feature request.

so better documentation is needed for extensions that rely on external
libraries.

Yes, a more detailed error message, or/and two more lines in the manual
could have saved me some time. And maybe it would for others too.

Thank you.

all of theese extensions depend on other DLLs
being installed on your system
like, for example, sybase_ct client DLLs
(this is the native sybase call interface, _not_ the ODBC stuff)

maybe we could improve the error message?
(moved to feature request)

all of theese extensions depend on other DLLs
being installed on your system
like, for example, sybase_ct client DLLs
(this is the native sybase call interface, _not_ the ODBC stuff)

maybe we could improve the error message?
(moved to feature request)

I spent almost 2 day trying to figure out how to load the sybase
extension under windows. I tried everything I could, but 14 of the
extensions would not load under WinMe, Win98, Win2000, with any
combination of apache, pws, iis. The extension_dir is just set all fine,
and the rest of the extensions load and function well.

I only wanted to get some data from a sybase db. I could actually solve
it with ODBC, but I still thought it's not the real way.

I discussed this problem on the local php mailing list, everyone knew
it, noone knew why. I searched through the php manual and the rest of
the web just to find a fraction of information that could be helpful
either way, but there was no.

The extensions that made me 2 horribe days:

php_curl.dll
php_fdf.dll
php_gettext.dll
php_ifx.dll
php_interbase.dll
php_ldap.dll
php_mssql65.dll
php_mssql70.dll
php_oci8.dll
php_openssl.dll
php_oracle.dll
php_sablot.dll
php_sybase_ct.dll
php_yaz.dll

A sample message:
PHP Warning:  Unable to load dynamic library
'c:\php\extensions\php_sybase_ct.dll'

My question is if it is possible to load these extensions some way, or
should I give up trying, becouse they will never load.

Thank you a lot.

I wish you nice developing.

Best regards:

Mike Myers