Manuel Lemos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim Winstead wrote:
>> > - Voting does not work on Opera 5.05 for Linux. When you submit the
>> > vote, it fails with the message "missing parameter score".
>>
>> it's a bug in opera. http://bugs.php.net/~jimw/bugs/opera-broken.php
>>
>> but because of the order of the fields on the new page, this bug doesn't
>> get triggered there.
>
> What do you mean? I just noticed that it still causes the problem above.

i mean there is a bug in opera that causes voting to fail on the
existing bug viewing/voting/editing page (where the voting stuff is in a
box that is floated to the right of the bug header). in my testing, the
bug in opera is no longer triggered by the new version of this page
(where the voting form is below the bug header).

regardless of whether the new version triggers this bug in opera or not,
it remains a bug in opera. i'm not going to spend any more of my time
figuring out how to work around it.

>> i really, really do not want to force people to register and deal with
>> all that. if abuse of the voting system becomes a problem, we'll figure
>> out a way to deal with it at that time. (the voting does track the ip of
>> submissions, so that is one easy filter that can be applied.)
>
> hummm... I was able to vote on the same bug several times in a row and
> it counted. Are you sure that IP filter is working?

there is no filter. the ip is only being tracked at this time.

> Anyway, that is easy to work around, especially because the source of
> the page is available, and who intends to fool the system will always
> find a easy way to do it.

of course. that's why i am sticking with the path of least resistance.

if the existing bug-voting system proves to not be useful (because of
people stuffing the ballot box, or not voting, or whatever), we can
always change it (slightly or dramatically). but until that happens, i
see very little reason to change it.

>> i have my doubts that the voting will really prove all that useful in
>> cajoling developers to work on specific bugs. i suspect it will be more
>
> I think it will help the QA time to concentrate on bugs that seem more
> urgent, if the vote system can work reliably.

my doubts come from a long time of watching developers of php work on
what they want to work on, without a great deal of concern for what it
is that users want. i don't see any reason to believe requiring people
to register to vote on bugs will change that situation.

jim