>>> Allow persistent connections to be closed and 'pruned'.

I'm unclear as to the reason for this one. Unless people are using lots
of different username/password combos in which case the connections
should not be persistent. Persistent connections were made to make speed
up repetitive identical connections as is often found in web
applications (and where end user security is often then handled by the
app, not the database). [PHP Manual: Chapter 22: ...In particular, they
do not give you an ability to open 'user sessions' on the same SQL
link...]

However, I'd like to add a item to the list proposed by Zac and Monty:
Persistent connection pools that are _per server_ rather than _per
process_. Perhaps it would be activated if the mm module were included.
It amazes me that this difference is still not explained in the manual.
The only reference is the configuration of php.ini.

Things like mysql.max_persistent are also _per process_ (duly noted in
that part of the manual), but have a completely different meaning than
might be usually expected. For example, mysql.max_persistent effectively
has to do with the max number of different server/user/pass combinations
of persistent connections that that process makes. For a web app
connecting to only one MySQL server with the same user/pass, this
parameter is meaningless.

This, of course, is important only to Apache servers where you must
multiply the per process items above by the max number of child servers
Apache will run.

Sincerely,
Steven Roussey
http://Network54.com/?pp=e