On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:22:22AM +0100, Hartmut Holzgraefe wrote :
> Georg Richter wrote:
>
> >is there (should be) a consistent way to pass or return a structure?!
> >
> >e.g.:
> >
> >a) Function mktime splits the structure in lot of parameters
> >b) fstat returns a non assoc array
> >c) dio_fstat (which seems to be identical to fstat) returns an assoc array
>
> assoc array IMHO
>
> especialy mktime() is a good example on how *not* to things
> as not everyone in the world is used to month-day-year dates :(

    I'm for (+1) assoc return values.

    I think the code which is used to handle it is more verbose
    then ( $day = $assoc['day']; and not $day = $arr[0]; or
    whatever) and it also helps debugging because you can just do
    a print_r() on the return type.

    If we start to agree on assoc params we should also think of
    new functions to more easily parse them to expected variable
    types

    zend_parse_parameters_hash(hashtable TSRMLS_CC,
                               " key1:type1,
                                |optional_key2:type2",
                                &var1, &var2);

    Ok, don't sue me, its just an idea how to simplify those kind
    of param-parsings. Zak and I were also discussing about such
    a way of parsing more optional argument after his recent
    mysql propose.

    Maybe Andrei has an idea too?

    - Markus