ID: 7847
Updated by: lobbin
Old Summary: OCI8 support with Oracle 8.1.5 doesn't work
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Open
Bug Type: OCI8 related
Operating System: AIX 4.2
PHP Version: 4.0.3pl1
New Comment:

Can you reproduce this with PHP 4.1.1?

Downloaded php4-200101080345 this morning and recompiled libphp4.so.
The problems remain. I had to find out an AIX 4.3.3 server in order to
keep the project in schedule; I successfully built a STATIC php module
there, including a working OCI8 extension. I couldn't build a working
AIX 4.3 DSO even though I followed the advice in bug #4630.

Does this happen with latest snapshot from http://snaps.php.net/ ??

--Jani

I have been testing several other extensions and standard PHP functions
on my AIX 4.2 server, and discovered the following:

1) can't successfully build PHP with socket support
2) fsockopen fails as described for OCI8
3) curl fails as described for OCI8

Since OCIServerAttach must certainly work with sockets at some point,
may this point to some kind of incompatibility between PHP and AIX 4.2
socket code?

Made some other tests ...

1) Recompiled gcc from sources, using both the
   binary AIX 4.2 gcc distro and the standard
   IBM cc compiler. Regenerated apache+mod_php+
   oci8 support with the new gcc binary.
   I observed the exact same problems.

2) Returned to using the binary AIX 4.2 gcc
   distro from aixpdslib.seas.ucla.edu, I
   liberally inserted fprintf debug statements
   in oci8.c in order to pinpoint the instruction causing the error.
   Here is my final trace:

   Entering oci_do_connect function ...
   Before ecalloc
   After ecalloc
   Before _oci_open_server
   Entering _oci_open_server function ...
   Before zend_hash_find
   After zend_hash_find
   Before OCIHandleAlloc
   After OCIHandleAlloc
   Before OCIServerAttach
   pServer:20123f9c pError:2012420c dbname:f40_7 dbnamel:5

   As you can see, oci8.c never returns from the
   OCIServerAttach call.
   The arguments to that call, listed on the last trace
   line, look valid enough to me ...

   (To Thies Arntzen: I receive all your emails, but our e-mail server
   apparently cannot deliver my replies to mail2.easyspace.com and is
   bouncing them all back ... please post your advice here)

I'm sorry to report AIX doesn't include truss nor strace.
I found out a program called sctrace that you can
buy from The Kernel Group for $795 (single CPU) and
seems to do what truss does for Solaris and strace
does for Linux, but we don't have it here.
Only thing I could do was using the trace program,
as per Jason's advice:

trace -a -o /tmp/my_trace_log; /opt/www/bin/httpd -X; trcstop
trcrpt -o /tmp/my_trace -v /tmp/my_trace_log

Here follows what I believe to be the most interesting section:

(about 55000 lines deleted)

107                    lookuppn: /ora815/network/admin/sqlnet.ora
107                    lookuppn: file not found
104            return from access. error ENOENT [73 usec]
101            access LR = D0FE3AB4
108            access /ora815/network/admin/sqlnet.ora---------
107                    lookuppn: /ora815/network/admin/ldap.ora
107                    lookuppn: file not found
104            return from access. error ENOENT [45 usec]
101            access LR = D0FE3AB4
108            access /ora815/network/admin/ldap.ora---------
107                    lookuppn: /.sqlnet.ora
107                    lookuppn: file not found
104            return from access. error ENOENT [20 usec]
101            access LR = D0FE3AB4
108            access /.sqlnet.ora---------
107                    lookuppn: /etc/intchg.ora
107                    lookuppn: file not found
104            return from access. error ENOENT [56 usec]
101            access LR = D0FE3AB4
108            access /etc/intchg.ora---------

([Oracle] looks for several other files, until it finds tnsnames.ora)

101            open LR = D02ACB30
107                    lookuppn: /ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
10D                    vfs number=0022, inode number=296E
15B            open /ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora fd=4 RDONLY
104            return from open [85 usec]
101            kioctl LR = D02D9B28
14C            ioctl fd=4 command=5800 arg=0000
104            return from kioctl. error ENOTTY [10 usec]
101            kfcntl LR = D02D71F0
137                    fcntl /ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora F_SETFD
return value 0000
104            return from kfcntl [5 usec]
101            kioctl LR = D02D9B28
14C            ioctl fd=4 command=5800 arg=0000
104            return from kioctl. error ENOTTY [5 usec]
101            kreadv LR = D02FC0A0
163            read(4,200D6780,1000)
/ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
10A                    PFS rdwr (vp,ip)=(5FDD330,5FDD360)
/ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
10A                    PFS readi  VA.S=0000.C57B bcount=0000
ip=5FDD360
104            return from kreadv [80 usec]
101            kreadv LR = D02FC0A0
163            read(4,200D6780,1000)
/ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
10A                    PFS rdwr (vp,ip)=(5FDD330,5FDD360)
/ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora
104            return from kreadv [10 usec]
101            close LR = D02B0D34
12E            close /ora815/network/admin/tnsnames.ora fd=4
104            return from close [32 usec]
101            uname LR = D0F18814
104            return from uname [11 usec]
101            getuidx LR = D02C8BC8
104            return from getuidx [2 usec]
101            kfcntl LR = D02D71F0
137                    fcntl F_GETFL return value 0002
104            return from kfcntl [7 usec]
101            kfcntl LR = D02D71F0
137                    fcntl F_GETFL return value 0009
104            return from kfcntl [3 usec]
101            sigprocmask LR = D02C8CD4
104            return from sigprocmask [7 usec]
101            sigprocmask LR = D02A52C0
104            return from sigprocmask [3 usec]
101            _sigaction LR = D02A5414
180            sigaction signal SIGABRT     <<<<====== THIS SHOULD BE
THE CULPRIT!
               addr new sigaction=2FF1D6D8 addr old sigaction=00000000
104            return from _sigaction [14 usec]
101            sigprocmask LR = D02A5468
104            return from sigprocmask [2 usec]
101            kfcntl LR = D02D71F0
137                    fcntl F_GETFL return value 0002
104            return from kfcntl [2 usec]
101            kfcntl LR = D02D71F0
137                    fcntl F_GETFL return value 0009
104            return from kfcntl [3 usec]

(long list of garbage collecting calls follows)

The httpd exits without segmentation faults (very quietly indeed!),
but I can't see what may cause the SIGABRT.

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=7847

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=7847&edit=1