From: Manuel Lemos [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 5:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Abhimanyu_bhola
Subject: [PHP-DEV] Re: migrating PHPs across machines...

Hello,

Abhimanyu_bhola wrote:
> Suppose I want to migrate PHPs from a Linux/Apache machine to an IIS
> box(having PHP installed)
>
> What needs to be done apart from physically copying the files???
> what needs to be done to the php.ini file???

You may need to migrate any database code if you switch database types.
If you may need to do that in the future, you may want to start thinking
of using a database abstraction package that lets you write database
independent code so you don't have to rewrite much (any) code.

In that case, the best option for you is Metabase. Besides allowing you
to write database independent code, it also allows you to define and
install database schemas using a database independent schema description
files all based in XML. If some day you decide to move, you may just ask
Metabase to dump the database schema and all the data stored in it to a
XML file that you can use to reinstall in a new database type and carry
on with you application as if nothing was changed. AFAIK, nothing
provides this facility, not with PHP nor anything else, not even Java.

Metabase is freely available from here:

http://phpclasses.upperdesign.com/browse.html/package/20

Regards,
Manuel Lemos