ID: 14935
Updated by: irc-html
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Open
Bug Type: Documentation problem
PHP Version: 4.1.1
New Comment:

Ok, fixed in CVS (again).  Current example (in CVS) reads:

echo addcslashes('foo[ ]', 'A..z');
// output:  \f\o\o\[ \]
// All upper and lower-case letters will be escaped
// ... but so will the [\]^_` and any tabs, line
// feeds, carriage returns, etc.

Status -> Closed (again)

The problem is that "space characters" in the example code is not meant
to refer to specifically a space (ASCII 32) it is referring to tab,
vertical tab, carriage return, line feed, etc.  Basically all of the
[:space:] characters except for an actual ASCII 32 space.  This is
expected behavior, you don't have to escape ASCII 32 in C strings.

The documentation fix is still lacking.  The line in the example code
should read:

// All upper and lower-case letters will be escaped
// ... but so will the [\]^_` and any tabs, line
// feeds, carriage returns, etc.

Instead of the current (CVS):
// All upper and lower-case letters will be escaped
// ... but so will the [\]^_`

Or something along those lines.  I'll commit that later tonight unless
someone objects or has better verbage.

We should probably take a closer look at this problem. I
verified that addcslashes had the currently documented
behaviour a while ago. If it has changed, we have a
problem.

Confirmed, will fix in CVS.

Status -> Closed

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.addcslashes.php
says `and space characters' but this is not true; on my
system
  addcslashes('foo[ ]','A..z')
results in
not