From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: rh 7.2
PHP version:      4.1.1
PHP Bug Type:     *Web Server problem
Bug description:  DirectoryIndex -> index.php must come first

not a typical setup...i'm developing on a vmware virtual machine....but
everything else has been flawless so maybe this isn't related to that.
latest versions of all, apache, php, samba

When listing
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
in apache

on a smb mounted share aka my scripts are physically on an xp shared
folder, I mount the share using smbmount the folder as a linux directory
which is setup as apaches directory. I've noticed if I list index.php
AFTER index.html that if i edit the index.php file on xp, the changes will
not be seen by the webserver. However it is only with a file named
index.php, all other filenames work fine. Wierd huh? however if I list
index.php first before index.html everything works perfectly.

Additionally, umounting the share and remounting doesn't fix, only listing
index.php first in directoryindex

Not sure if this happens outside of a virtual machine or a non smb share,
but it was a $#$ tracking down. reinstalled samba & more.

I had previously been using the 4.06 version and this didn't happen.

Like I said not sure if is some wierd interaction with the virtual machine
or mounting the share but thought Id pass it on in case it wasn't related,
as its reproducable on my end...I also tried different server directories
i had setup and it occured on those also.

--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=15290&edit=1