ID:               14636
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Session related
 Operating System: windows 2000 professional
 PHP Version:      4.0.6
 Assigned To:      yohgaki
 New Comment:

This is actually not a bug at all but rather behavior of HTTP.

For PHP to be able to "find" a previously set session variable, it must
be able to identify the client, right? Well, the default method used to
accomplish this is via a cookie set when you initiate the session.
Since it appears you are redirecting the user to the member's only page
using the Location header on the same page the session is initiated,
the PHPSESSID cookie will not be set. Thus, once the user arrives at
the member's only page, PHP won't be able to identify the user. Their
session variable is still there, but PHP won't give it to a stranger.
:)

Basically, in your HTTP reponse that includes the Set-Cookie header, it
needs to be a regular 200 OK response and not a protocol level
redirection. If you absolutely have to have the behavior you're going
for here, you're going to have to use a meta refresh for the
redirection. Yes, it's not as cool, but it's the only way to set a
cookie and redirect the client in the same response. Otherwise, you'll
have to pass the value of the cookie on the URL, which might be a good
option for you actually.

Hope that helps.

Let me check this thing ;)

The problem as I understand it is in the use of

session.auto_start in the php.ini and
session_start() in the script.

session.auto_start has to be set to 0 (zero) if using session_start()
in the script.  The code seems to work with this setting.  Somehow I
did not see this in any of the documentation or other bug reports.

Thanks for the assistance.
Kannan

Dupe of 6121

I have reviewed the Bugs database against the following IDs

13732 - is closed with no reply or resolution indicated.
12704 - marked Bogus
12679 - does not solve my situation  (session.cookie_domain).  I am not
using one.  It is left blank.
8912 - similar.  But in my case browser refresh on the target page also
does not solve the problem.

The only thin that works is clicking on a href link to go to the target
page.

I am using Apache Webserver 1.3.22 for Windows.

Kannan

I have 2 scripts: a script to login a user and set a session variable.
After checking session_is_registered() I redirect to a url using
header().  The target script checks for the session variable and is not
able to find it.

If I use href to go to the target page, the session variable is found.

I have reviewed the bugs database, and the solutions reported for
similar cases do not work for me.  The following are portion of the
code used:

I tested the code on a Linux server and it works perfectly.
Thank you.
Kannan

Environment:  Windows 2000, IE 5.5, Linux 4.0.6

Login.php>>
  $db = db_connect();
  $result = mysql_query($query, $db);
  if (mysql_num_rows($result) >0 )
  {
    // if they are in the database register the user id
    $row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
    $suser = $user;
    session_register("suser");
  }
}

if (session_is_registered("suser"))
  {
    if ($redirect<>"")
      header("location: $redirect");
    // redirect is instantiated with 'members_only.php'
    else {
         echo "You are logged in as: $suser <br>";
         echo "suser: $suser<br>";
to URL ====
                        }
  }

members_only.php>>
<?
  session_start();
  // check session variable
  echo "Members_only<br>";
  echo "$suser<br>";
  if (session_is_registered("suser"))
  {
    echo "Members Only Page<br>";
    echo "<p>You are logged in as $suser.</p>";
    echo "<p>Members only content goes here</p>";
    echo "<a href=\"login.php\">Back to main page</a>";
    echo "<a href=\"logout.php\">Logout</a>";
  }
  else
  {   $redirect = "members_only.php";
      header("location: login.php?redirect=$redirect");
  }

?>

php.ini>>
[Session]
session.save_handler = files
session.save_path = C:\temp
session.use_cookies = 1
session.name = FOO
session.auto_start = 1
session.cookie_lifetime = 60
session.cookie_path = c:\temp
session.cookie_domain =
session.serialize_handler = php
session.gc_probability = 1
session.gc_maxlifetime = 1440
session.referer_check =
session.entropy_length = 0
session.entropy_file =
session.cache_limiter = private
session.cache_expire = 180
session.use_trans_sid = 1
url_rewriter.tags =
"a=href,area=href,frame=src,input=src,form=fakeentry"