From: Diego Trinciarelli [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 5:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] PHP 4.0 Bug #6645 Updated: Solution to 6572

None of the solutions seems to work for me, i cannot open Memo fields.
If I try to fetch only the memo field It does not return nothing.

Using:
PHP 4.1.1(isapi module) , win2000 SP2, Openlink ODBC on Visual FoxPro 6.0 database.

ID: 6645
Updated by: torben
Reported By:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: ODBC related
Assigned To:
Comments:

I've copied this text into the appropriate bug report (#6572).

That should be SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC without the $.

Bug 6572 claims that MEMO fields cannot be read.

Oddly, this also happens in ASP/vbscript, however you can MEMO fields to work correctly with the following:

You can get MEMO fields to work. Right now it takes some finesse.

#1) You may try adding $SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC

#2) You need to use odbc_longreadlen before you use odbc_fetch_row, otherwise it will not read enough characters.

#3) As of 4.0.2, making odbc_longread too long may cause PHP to become unstable.

#4) You may need to make a query that only returns the MEMO field to read it correctly. Otherwise it sometimes just doesn't work (this is similar in ASP and so is probably a bug with Access or ODBC drivers for it.)

Example:

$conn = odbc_connect( $DSN, $user, $pw, $SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC );
$result = odbc_exec( $conn, $query );
odbc_longreadlen( $result, 1000000);

/* Your odbc_fetch_row, etc, will now work */