>> A lot of errors that are E_NOTICE today would definitely be better off
>> as E_PEDANTIC.  Undefined array indexes come to mind.  What else?
>> E_INFO may be a bit vague (and probably attract a lot of "misc"
>> errors).  What about E_COMPAT for compatibility issues?
>
> E_PENDATIC, E_COMPAT, E_NOTICE, E_WARNING, E_ERROR
> Do you see E_PENDANTIC and E_NOTICE as much different? Can we differentiate
> between them?

I think that one of the levels should explicitly state that extra cpu or
memory resources can be used to produce the output.

For example (and this is not really a well thought out suggestion),
preg_replace() could test if it is being used for simple replaces that
str_replace() could manage as well and if so throw an E_PERFORMANCE notice
or some such.

These kinds of tests are so expensive that they can't be switched on even in
an E_ALL environment. But it might be an useful way for script writers to
get usage feedback from PHP and extension authors.

--Marko