I posted this to the "PHP Into the Future" forum on Zend.com and no one
responded, so now I'm posting it here, though I'm not sure how directly
relevant it is to this list:

I don't know if this has come up, but I think it would be great to have
improved array dereferencing support in PHP so that you can dereference an
element of an anonymous array (such as an array returned by a function), like
you can with a list in Perl, e.g. (stat($file))[8], or in PHP (parse_url(
$URL ))[ 'host' ].

Improved object dereferencing support is included in the Zend v2 overview,
but I don't see anything about arrays.  Can someone tell me if this
functionality is in PHP's future?

Jesse McCarthy