I've just noticed that the manual's description of the difference between include()
and require() has changed some time in the last few months from:

"include() differs from require() in that the include statement is re-evaluated each
time it is encountered (and only when it is being executed), whereas the require()
statement is replaced by the required file when it is first encountered, whether the
contents of the file will be evaluated or not"

(which is reasonable) to:

"The two constructs are identical in every way except how they handle failure.
include() produces a Warning while require() results in a Fatal Error."

(which is also reasonable, although less useful).

I can find nothing in the PHP4 ChangeLog, or in the bugs database, that mentions such
a change.

(1) Has this, indeed, changed?

(2) If so, shouldn't the ChangeLog mention it, and the manual document which version
it changed in?
(3) ... and why the change?  The first behaviour seems extremely useful for not
include()ing files which aren't really needed!

Cheers!

Mike

Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]