The question is if this will break UNIX systems. From the MSDN:
---
In C/C++, you can use assertions through assert. In ANSI C, assert has the
following definition:
void assert(int expression)
The assertion will be executed only when the macro NDEBUG is undefined. The
program will be aborted if the expression evaluates to false (0); if the
expression evaluates to true (non-0), assert has no effect.
---

Therefore your patch seems to be correct for Windows. The linux man page says:
---
  This only happens when the macro NDEBUG is undefined.
---

So it sounds as if not defining NDEBUG by force is the correct way.
If no one objects I'll apply your patch in a few hours.

Andi