Hi Markus,

(Sorry: I think I deleted the most relevant mail, so I'm replying to
this one :-)

Thanks for your work on the memory streams; I have a couple of
comments about them:

As they stand now, it is only possible to write in append mode.
(Or it looked that way from my quick glance).
It would be really good if data could be written over existing data
if the stream is seek()ed.

Using the memory stream as an alternative when you need to seek
a possibly unseekable stream is good for smaller data, but what
about larger data?
I'm planning an API that will give you back a seekable stream
so the logic to determine when and what type of alternative to
use; we can use memory streams, but I think I'd feel happier
if we used a tmpfile() stream instead; if the data is small
enough, a sensible OS would cache the file in memory anyway.

As for the strange problems you have in the exif extension;
if you switch to a stream opened with php_stream_fopen_tmpfile(),
do you still have the same troubles? (So we can try and pin
it down!).

--Wez.