> (2) im working on a database access abstraction, again inspired by
Java
> and
> JDBC (MySQL driver is written and works, BTW). in Java you have the
> Resultset.getXXX methods which gets the value of a given column as a
> particular type. Java of course is strongly typed, whereas PHP is not.
Is
> it
> useful to implement the getXXX methods natively. i lean toward it
> primarily
> because 1) folks coming from Java will be right at home 2) sometimes
you
> need to enforce a particular return type coming from a column 3)
Metabase
> does it for portability, and although it can be done in PHP, its more
> efficient to do it in the extension. On the downside there is the
issue of
> bloat.

There is currently an effort underway to merge Metabase with PEAR DB.
I have just commited the first code into the pear cvs (package is called
"MDB" for now). The merge is still not complete. But the idea was that
this merged DB abstraction layer could down the road be ported to C ...
the sooner the better.

In terms of how to abstract things, its quite obvious that Metabase is
very far ahead (is there even something similar in other languages?). So
I guess Metabase, or MDB when its ready, will be the best place to turn
to if you seek this knowledge for a C Extension.

Anyways if you are interested then you may want to join the discussion
on this new package. All discussion goes to the binarycloud, metabase
and pear-dev mailinglists, since there is no dedicated mailinglist for
this project, but all of the above the mailinglists are participating.

Best regards,
Lukas Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 DybNet Internet Solutions GbR