Why is it you do not wish the session save handlers to be able to generare their own
session IDs? The
patch does not break any save handlers, but adds a lot more flexibility to the session
system.

A pseudo-random number may not be what is desired. I may want the session id to be the
user's name. I
may want it to be their IP address. Who knows? That is the point of flexibility,
choice.

In a web site that does not use only PHP, maybe a save handler may need to query
anoher system to get
the session ID from that. There are lots of reason to commit the patch. And only your
fear that session
hander writers will (in your words) "get it wrong." (Which, by the way, is quite
insulting, you should try
to respect the people who contribute.)

Your position is valid only if you assume eeryone wants the session ID to have the
same properties that
you do. If that is the case, why have extensions at all, PHP should just be what it
is, because no one
should want anything different. Hell, why should it be open source, someone can change
it and "get it
wrong!" Make it closed source, that will fix everything.

If the patch does not break anything, and to my knowledge it doesn't, why not add it?
What is the harm?
The question of "should" has already been answered by a few developers. It should now
be a technical
discussion of the impact on the code as a whole, and there should be none beyond
adding functionality.