__get_x() is simply a shortcut, I don't see how it can backfire on us in
the overload framework. It is very helpful if you have a couple of
variables that are more frequently accessed and you want to split up
their processing from the rest. They are pretty much analogous to
get/set property handlers in C#, except that those get converted to
__prop_get/set() names by the compiler.

If you are worried about its interaction with aggregate(), there is no
problem. Aggregate() will not import methods that start with '_'.

On Mon, 08 Apr 2002, Kristian Köhntopp wrote:
> As of now, this is just an unspecified bad feeling of mine.
> I only can back up this with the two times we had special names
> which were variable in PHP: Both attempts at them failed
> horribly:
>
> - We had (have, until ZE 2, if I am not mistaken) variable
>   named constructors (ctors named after the class). These
> had a number of design flaws in PHP 3, which were fixed in
> PHP 4, at the cost of an overly complex ruleset for
> constructor names.
>
> Had we chosen stable names for constructors, we'd gotten the
> same effect with a single rule for ctor names.
>
> - We had (until very recently) variable names for imported
>   variables amidst our global namespace. We earned a number
> of security problems due to admittedly stupid code, which
> swayed the PTBs to finally disable registering globals by
> default.
>
> I cannot come up with a bomb script right now, but I am
> reasonably sure that __get_x() will backfire at some time
> as well.
>
> Kristian

-Andrei
* On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key. *