>> $_PERSISTENT could store data key'd to the script that stored it.
>> $_PERSISTENT_GLOBAL (probably a better name can be found) could just
>> store data accessable to any script under a certain document root.  You
>> definitly do not want to share persistent data across document roots (ie
>> virtual servers, etc.).
>
> Using docroot sounds good idea. I'll think about design and
> post new RFC next week.

Here's another idea that I've floated the last couple weeks (this would be
especially good in the SRM and msession extensions), how about a method to
cache values?  This is very similar to the "application variables", except
that there would be a limit to how much was stored, and if that limit was
reached, the most infrequently used data would be discarded.

Right now I've got some lookups I have to do fairly often for country,
state/province, city of users.  There are over 2 million cities in my
database, but the vast majority of them aren't used.  I would like to be
able to store the most frequently used data in a persistent manner, but
there's really not the option of storing everything.  So if it wasn't in
the persistent variable, I would look it up in the database, and then put
it into the persistent variable.  The caching mechanism would then delete a
value if necessary, e.g. the least recently used.

Just an idea, and I'd be glad to offer my meager skills in helping out with
that.