It is not enough to define COMPILE_DL<(MODULENAME>

you also need this section

#if COMPILE_DL_<MODULENAME>
ZEND_GET_MODULE(<MODULENAME>)
#endif

and you need to define the module. I suggest you take a look at some of the other
extensions 'ctype" is a good place to start. It is a simple wrapper extension with
only two files.

- Frank