>     hi,
>     is there any way we could avoid this?
>
>     i think we should aim for keeping binary compatiblity as long
>     as it makes sense. so, question is, would it make sense to
>     have a function called php_fopen_wrapper in HEAD that behaves
>     _exactly_ like it did in 4.2. elsewise we need to bump the
>     API number - whereby that wouldn't buy us anything real as
>     a 4.2 (binary) module woundn't even load up to that point
>     where PHP could give a decent error-message as the
>     shared-linker refuses to load it (atleast if the module uses
>     php_fopen_wrapper).
>
>     thoughts?

While I think maintaining binary compatibility is a good thing
(just like, peace, love, etc.), the removing of fopen_wrappers makes
way for streams, which are not only über-cool, but also a quite a
major change.  Mix that with the fact that the version number is increasing
quite steadily, I think we're safe to binary compat.  I know its a drag and
annoying as hell, but its something that's better done sooner than later
(or rather, there is no advantage I can see to wait till later).

-Sterling