On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 19:07, Preston L. Bannister wrote:
> From: Andi Gutmans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> > >Ok then, perhaps we should have an .ini setting for it? :)
> > >
> > >The only two options I see, in that case are:
> > >
> > >- Add the binary path to the 3 existing lookup places
> > >- Add a configuration option that would determine whether CWD would be
> > >used, or the binary path would be used.
> > >
> > >I lean towards option #2 myself...
> > >

> > How about if we don't have a php.in in CWD we fall back to where php.exe is
> > located?
>
> On second thought we *can* have both backwards compatibility AND
> a default PHP installation that is more secure.
>
> The approach is simple:
>
> Load php.ini from PHP_CONFIG_FILE_PATH (unix) or the same directory
> as php.exe (Win32).  Do *not* search CWD.
>
> Add an "include" directive to the INI file.  Looking at the PHP
> implementation it looks like this could be a psuedo-setting with an
> on_modify function that loads as an INI file using the value as a
> file name.  So sites that *want* to load from CWD would add:
>
> [PHP]
> include_ini = ./php.ini
>
> So sites that want to be less secure have make the above entry once
> in the site's global php.ini.  It is a good thing to require action
> and thought on the part of the site to become less secure :).

Edin and I were discussing ini files on IRC last night and the same idea
came up.  With the exact same syntax too, actually.  This is divine
proof that the include_ini is good and must be implemented. :-)

Seriously, being able to include other ini files is a great feature,
especially for hosters who will then be able to set up site-wide config
files that are included from per-vhost config files, etc.  You can have
your cake and eat it too.

 - Stig