At 18:24 12/05/2002, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>     - it is buffering as you already noted without having to rely
>       on the huge output-buffering infrastructure.  I have not
>       benchmarked it, but I do assume that it is noticably slower
>       than php_html_puts.
>
>     - it is faster due to passing TSRMLS around, instead of
>       having to fetch it for *every* single examined byte.  This
>       is especially significant in threaded environments such as
>       Apache 2 or ISAPI.

I'm trying to understand why you care so much about its
performance..?  There are cases where duplicating code for performance
reasons makes sense, but I don't see how this function falls into that
category.  Either way, enabling output buffering for it should definitely
do the trick, even if it's a couple of percent slower than the specialized
implementation.
Are you using it in some module?  Because the only code to currently make
use of it is phpinfo(), and it isn't noticeably slow even in the current
byte-by-byte method...

Zeev