FastCGI can provide the security needed in shared environments, without
loosing all the performance.  I don't beleive it is fast as direct
server plugins, but there are other benefits...such as running PHP
single threaded to avoid thread issues.  It would be nice to see it
become a standard compile option.  One thing that does need to happen is
a multithreaded fastcgi option for PHP.  I've had that in the back of my
head but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Shane