Hi,

I got into trouble building PHP 4.2.1 with the option
'--with-openssl=[myopenssldir]' on Solaris 2.8. The 'configure'
script failed with

checking for OpenSSL version... configure failed: openssl > 0.9.5 is required

even if a correct version of openssl 0.9.6c exists. This is
a bug because PHP 4.2.0 will build without any problems using
exactly the same 'configure' parameters.

I discovered the build failure is due to the change of the autoconf version
from PHP 4.2.0 to PHP 4.2.1 that created the 'configure' script.

The result is that PHP 4.2.1 builds may fail on Solaris.

Here is my fix. You have to install the latest GNU m4/autoconf/automake
utilities from ftp.gnu.org on your Solaris machine and re-run
'autoconf' in the  PHP 4.2.1 build directory to re-create a
correct 'configure' script.

I installed
    GNU m4 1.4
    GNU Autoconf 2.53
    GNU Automake 1.6

Now, 'configure' will work as expected.

If this can be confirmed, a note in the INSTALL file would be appreciated.

Jörg Prante