One of the major problems with the apache2filter is that it can not
work with any other resource output filter.  So, a configuration
like (I would like to use this configuration):

AddOutputFilterByType BUCKETEER text/html
AddType text/html .php
AddOutputFilter PHP .php

can not work because the bucketeer filter reads the data and does not
produce FILE buckets but rather POOL buckets - which is allowed under
the httpd-2.0 filter scheme.  My personal favorite would be to
combine PHP and mod_include so you could have a file containing
mod_include and PHP directives.

What would we have to do remove the file descriptor requirement for
the Zend Engine and PHP?  (All of us on the httpd-2.0 side of things
would like to see this happen.)  AIUI, all input to the Zend Engine
must be file-based (there is no API in PHP to pass char*s either).
httpd-2.0 can feed the parser char*'s and then indicate when the
stream is over.  Then, the output can be generated by the PHP engine.

Thanks in advance.  -- justin