PHP uses the shell (or cmd.exe or command.com on windows) because the
shell knows how to search the path for a command if the full path is
not specified.

It should be relative simple to change the behaviour of some of the
PHP execution functions (eg: not popen) so that it executes the file
directly if it is_file && is_executable.

Are there any objections to making such a change?  I don't think it
has any BC implications.

--Wez.