Just a question and comment since I've been looking into php's flock on
windows.

First, the documentation states 'When using a multithreaded server API
like ISAPI you may not be able to rely on flock() to protect files
against other PHP scripts running in parallel threads of the same server
instance!'.

PHP's implementation on windows uses LockFileEx.  I have found *NO*
documentation, news postings, etc. etc. on LockFileEx anywhere
supporting that statement in the PHP documentation.  What documentation
does say is that locks are not inherited by spawned child processes (A
good thing).  So I would be interested in the source of our
documentation, or pointers to any documentation on the subject, if
anyone knows.

Second, LockFileEx is not supported on win9x, we could be using a simple
LockFile call for those platforms.  There is no way to do a blocking
lock call with LockFile, but at least it would supply win9x with partial
flock support.  At the least, documentation should state that flock is
not supported on win9x/ME/CE.

Shane