Robinson, Mike wrote:

> Edin Kadribasic writes:
>
>  > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 12:05 PM
>  > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Jani Taskinen; Yasuo Ohgaki
>  > Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: cvs: php4 /ext/mbstring config.m4
>  >
>  > > I asked to php-dev and nobody objects enabling mbstirng by
>  > > default. This allow some modules (extif, mailparse(?), for example)
>  > > to use multibyte feature.
>  >
>  > No objections here.
>
> Frankly, I don't think mbstring should be enabled by default.
>
 > If a user wants mbstring support, is it too much to ask to
 > have them add --enable-mbstring to their config line? Once
 > we go down this road, turning it off by default is a huge wtf.

You missed the fact PHP module loader/PHP ini parser do not
understand dependency at all.

We don't want bug reports such as "PHP does not compile
module ABC and/or XYZ", "PHP won't start for some reason",
etc.

I18N feature is "must have" core feature for modern languages,
IMHO, but it's free to add "--disable-mbstring" in users'
configure line if users understand consequences.

Anyway, automatic input tranlasation overhead is rather
small. It may be disabled manually using multipart/form-data
encoding, but it could be annoying when we are developing
true I18N website. I'll disable input encoding tranlation by
default, objections?

--
Yasuo Ohgaki