Hi,

> At 16:41 17/08/2002, Sebastian Nohn wrote:
> >Why release a RC for a software that has some known bugs not fixed.
>
> PHP x.y.z has known bugs that are not fixed, for any given x, y and z,
> since forever, and until the of time.  Realize that, and decisions become
> much simpler.
>
> Releasing a new version makes sense if it's *significantly
> better* than the
> previous version.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  You basically have to
> weight the gain (the bugs that were fixed, the fact that the semi-major
> version alternative is likely to be much buggier than a
> minirelease such as
> this), versus the price (QA time, possibility of introducing new
> bugs).  If
> the price appears to be reasonable for the gain, you go for it.
>
> Releasing 4.2.3 the way I suggest it will not delay 4.3.0 in any
> way.  Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anything is happening at
> all with the 4.3.0 release process anyway.  What I'm suggesting is to let
> users have a significantly better version to use within one week.
>  Nothing
> more, nothing less.

No! This simply confuses users! Someone reported a bug n weeks ago, this bug
"has been fixed in CVS" n-x weeks ago. Now there is a new release an WOW!
this bug is'nt fixed! Fixed in CVS means fixed in CVS and the user expects
this bug to be fixed in the next release.

Regards,
   Sebastian Nohn
--
+49 170 471 8105 - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://www.nohn.net/
PGP Key Available - Did I help you? Consider a gift: