<snip>

> I did it at the Apache level since I am trying to leverage the knowledge
> the mod_perl folks have as well.

Building a bridge to the opposition are you? ;-) Begone religious flamewars!
Let us unite in the common goal of building threadsafe scripting engines -
AND libraries. :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once these issues about thread-safety have been
solved, it will not only affect the behavioud towards Apache 2.x but also
the ISAPI module, would it not?

Maybe the documentation on "Extending PHP" should provide some common
guidelines for building threadsafe libraries.

- Carsten