There is a flagrant bug there that allows anyone to chose a session ID
of his choice, instead of relying on the random device.

I think this breaks some POSIX-MIT-RFC somewhere and can be the cause
of easy exploits.

I would then say hat for a bugfix release it should be reasonabe to
fix it,.
I am not saying that user choice of the unpredictable session-id
couldn't be a valid method in some cases, as well as other method as
suggested, but this the programmer must decide when and where.

If you are talking about usecurity of trans_sid, then letting anyone
decide it by an url, is even worse.

Giancarlo