Nothing happened to my idea (with was agreed by some others)
to have developers list send an initial email to new users that
clearyfies the difference between developer list and user list,
which then can be used to get access to either one upone reply.

I now have another easier idea. We have the following headings
on the mailing lists webpage:

General mailing lists for PHP users - Announcements of new PHP releases are
sent to this very low-volume list
and
Lists for the developers of PHP and the Zend Engine - A medium volume list
for those who want to help out with the development of PHP

this really is not clear!

Why not use an additional heading
PHP developers list - A list for developers using and programming with PHP
direct above the heading of the other developers lists?

marcus