Having been using it to handle more than 105,000 email messages over
the last 18 months *in production*, I have to disagree.

I have to say that I'm appalled that most of the people making these
"I completely agree" comments have probably never even tried to use
mbstring; most certainly haven't even read the bugzilla report and
therefore don't even realize what the problem is.

<rant to="php-dev">
  If you're going vote on something, *PLEASE* make yourselves
  aware of the real issues.

  PHP needs some forward thinkers, and brainlessly agreeing to
  disable a module, based on the valid principle of PECL removing
  cruft, is not forward thinking.  The "noise" has only helped to
  obscure the issue even more, because people are all jumping on
  the PECL is great bandwagon, when that is *not* the issue here.
  It's nice to see that people want to keep PHP clean, but *please*
  let's understand what we are voting for before we actually vote.
</rant>

Now, the mbstr-enc-trans might have had some stability issues, but as
I've been saying, it is NOT enabled by default, and lets print a
warning about it when it is turned on.

Don't penalize serious developers because of this (already resolved) issue.

--Wez.

Derick wrote:
> > Every respectable sysadm in eastern countries installing PHP should be
> > aware fo this and enable mbstring for his users.

No, PHP should include encoding support by default - this was already
discussed and decided here on php-dev. (That's why it's enabled by
default in 4.2).