[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
>

>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>>No, not really. It was noted by more than one person that it breaks
>>>some simple things in PHP, affecting the bahavior of scripts that are
>>>already out there. Until it is totally stable (which you yourself it is
>>>not yet) it should not be enabled by default. How, after 4.3 is branched
>>
>>What problem?
>

> For example the bug with the request variables, which might be fixed in
> CVS now, but it isn't fixed in any release.

It was working just like original treat data.
The bug was introduced someone changed original treat data,
but forgot to update multibyte version.

I think this is one of the reason why we should enable it
by default so that everyone aware how it supposed to work.

I might forget to merge the fix. I'll check it later.

>>As far as I know, there is no serious problem that is not
>>addressed yet. If there is problem, it should be easy one to
>>fix. Let me know we'll fix it.
>>
>>The main thing has been changed in development version is
>>how mbfilter works. New filter is streamable and easier to
>>extend, while current one is not. Current behavior will not
>>be changed at all.
>

> You mean the thing on sourceforge here as "development version" ?

Until we stablize and finish testing the code.

We would like to mess things up a lot, that's why we're using
sourceforge. We will merge changes to php.net CVS step by step.

New filter will be merged after 4.3.0 branch is made. Then
we'll sync source and start messing it again. (break build, functions,
engine, etc)

I guess most of us do not appreciate breaking build, functions and
engine.

>>In addition, there are few modules depends on mbstring already
>>and mbstring does not depend on external lib at all. There
>>is no reason to wait.
>

> AFAIK only exif does, and as that one is not enabled by default it
> should be no problem. It's easy to check in the config.m4 file of exif
> if mbstring is enabled too.

mailparse is anothor one.

My point is:
  Are we going to encourage users to write I18N modules/libs/applications
  or not.

Single byte char users do not have to care about existence of
mbstring if one is not interested. Why bother? Just let us know
if there is bug so that bugs are getting fixed.

>>BTW, Derick, could you add mbstring category to bug db?
>>(AFAIK, there is no category for it)
>

> It's already there, under "Languages/Translation".

It's not intuitive to me :)
Could you change the name like usual extension?

-
Yasuo Ohgaki