At 11:25 AM +0900 9/12/02, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
>How this could be useful?

I work for a company that is moving towards PHP.  We have our own
package system for installing software, something like FreeBSD ports.
I am the one that builds the PHP dso package.  The PHP package
could/will be installed on tens of thousands of servers so it is bare
bones build.  The PHP package installs a default php.ini file with
our company defaults.  When somebody needs an extension we create
another package of a phpize, configure, make process build of that
extension.  When installing/removing the extension package it
automaticly adds/removes the extension line in the php.ini and
restarts apache.  With more and more extension, extensions that need
more then just a one line added to the php.ini and our security team
request it would be a lot easier to have a include_ini_dir
(include_ini make sense, but less useful to us).

With a default php.ini file that looks like this:

-----
[PHP]
include_ini_id = include
-----

With this we can install 3 .ini files into the include directory for
the base install.  One engineers can change, one engineers can change
but should have a good reason and one that if engineers change our
security team will beat them with a big stick.

This also helps when installing/removing extensions because we could
just add/remove a .ini file in the include directory instead of
editing the php.ini

Make sense?

Brian