Zeev Suraski wrote:
> At 12:27 19/09/2002, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
>
>> Dan Hardiker wrote:
>>
>>> We are dealing with *idiots* here. Their CODE doesnt work, they are
>>> *learning* PHP, they want help on their *non-functional* code, easily,
>>> simply and quickly.
>>> We can already say "put this in a .php file then give us the URL to it"
>>> and cut n paste them a short script which will show_source their script.
>>> However this is TOO MUCH for most newbies and people I encounter
>>> daily in
>>> #php on dal.net - now if I asked them for a URL to their script, they
>>> give
>>> me http://whatever.com/script.php so I can see the error in action - I
>>> tell them "ok, rename it to phps". Voila - I get the source.
>>> THIS is where phps is SO useful.
>>

>> I'm not insisting we should remove phps, but discourage use of it :)
>

> Can you explain why?

Because it may send broken output, malformed encoding specification.
I don't like to see web pages that do not handle encoding
right. User can avoid issues with highlight_file. I may add
some description to the manual how/when this can happen when I
would like to, since it seems it's not obvious to many.

I was supposing broken phps in PHP4 is common sense. Just
like array internal position is messed up by assignment.
i.e. people know the problem, but nobody would like to
fix it because it does not worth it. Apparently, my
assumption is wrong for some. I hope you or someone
else look into the segfault. 100% reproducible segfault
with known condition would be easy to fix.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki