I am trying to port PHP and I am running into a problem with Apache 1.3.
I am not familiar with the PHP language by itself and I am used to
working at the O.S. level and so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I tried to read through mailing list archives, the readmes, FAQs etc,
but I couldn't find answer for this question:

When PHP is loaded with Apache 1.3 and Apache is shutdown, PHP 4.2.2
crashes inside the routine _efree() called from bc_free_num(). I found
the problem to be related to linked list corruption and on further
investigation, suspected it to be a case of the thread calling
bc_free_num() to be different from that of the thread that called
bc_new_num(). I verfied this by enabling TSRM_DEBUG while building zend,
which enables this detection in _efree(). I also set the
tsrm_error_level to TSRM_ERROR_LEVEL_ERROR to enable dispalying of TSRM
messages to the screen. And sure enough, I got an error message from
_efree() from the following excerpt:

#if defined(ZTS) && TSRM_DEBUG
     if (p->thread_id != tsrm_thread_id()) {
         tsrm_error(TSRM_ERROR_LEVEL_ERROR, "Memory block allocated at
%s:(%d) on thread %x freed at %s:(%d) on thread %x, ignoring",
             p->filename, p->lineno, p->thread_id,
             __zend_filename, __zend_lineno, tsrm_thread_id());
         return;
     }
#endif

I have ZTS defined thread support in Zend.

I am not able to understand and appreciate all the details of the use of
the macros to access the globals variables via AG(), CG() etc and from
what I could figure out, ts_resource_ex()is some kind of thread specific
data mechanism and would work only if threads are dedicated to PHP.

I am not able to understand who is responsible for ensuring that the
same thread gets used for a complete request - whether it is some thing
that I need to do in Apache or whether I need to enable/disable
something while compiling PHP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please copy me on your reply as well.

Thanks in advance,

S.R.