On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Wez Furlong wrote:

>Anyone have any ideas or insight on these bug reports:
>
>#15529 ap_cleanup_for_exec not used when creating
>#16548 exec or system a daemon will catch the port for this session
>#15642 system() with background execution hangs due to bogus filehandles open
>
>It appears that the problem is due to this bit of code in main/main.c
>
>void php_request_shutdown_for_exec(void *dummy)
>{
>    TSRMLS_FETCH();
>
>    /* used to close fd's in the 3..255 range here, but it's problematic
>     */
>    shutdown_memory_manager(1, 1 TSRMLS_CC);
>}
>
>The comment says that closing those fd's is problematic but doesn't say
>why - and those PRs appear to need those fd's to be closed in order to be
>resolved.
>
>I've tried looking through the CVS log for main/main.c but didn't have
>much luck; is this something of a hangover from PHP 3 days or did I just
>miss the relevant commit?

    http://lxr.php.net is great tool, use it. :)
    'Blame' tells that this comment is from the initial version of main.c
    and by checking php3/main.c, you can see that this comment is there too.
    After some digging in the php3 module I found this:

     http://cvs.php.net/diff.php/php3/main.c?login=2&r1=1.444&r2=1.445&ty=u

    Hope this helps..

    --Jani