> I appreciate your effort on making SAPI part of the build more flexible, but I
> really think that it is unlikely that such a level of flexibility is needed.
> I might be wrong, but I think that a typical user would very seldom require
> more than 1 SAPI + CLI + LIB to be built.

    I would argue that it is not too much to have half a dozen
    different build trees, each containing an _optimized_ build
    for each SAPI module.

    If you build the CLI from APXS-style objects, it will cost
    you 50% of the performance.  If you build a static libphp4.a
    from the same objects, it will again slow you down by a
    factor of 2.  The cost will be even higher, if ZTS is
    enabled.  The price for this convenience is not negligible.

    Fortunately, I have some spare time and look forward to
    purge some of the cruft which has assembled since the CLI
    support was added.  By extending the problem domain, we can
    simplify and abstract a number of cases in the build system.
    That will be a lot of fun.

    I have implemented already about 50% of the changes and will
    send a URL of the patch to the list, when it is usable.

    - Sascha