> All,
>
> as said in my previous message, discussion and efforts to get a solid
> maintenance
> for the xslt extension has started on the Sablotron mailinglist, after
> Sterling's announcement.
>
> There are currently two main issues that are pending:
>
> Is it realistic to expect that other xslt processors will be integrated via
> the abstraction,
> that Sterling has provided?
>
> If not - this would raise whether the xslt_ namespace is correct (academic
> but still) and if so,
> how would (Sablotron) processor specific functions be integrated? Would
> these register under:
> xslt_sablot_* or would function xslt_*, which is only available for
> processor X, be a userland
> issue, where xslt_backend() would provide the means to detect availibility?
>
> The SXP interface in the Sablotron library provides DOM functions, which
> also allows creation
> of DOM documents. Exposing those, would effectively create 2 extensions
> with equal functionality
> and totally different approaches (ext/domxml and ext/xslt). Is this
> something we would want in
> core (ereg vs. preg / recode vs. iconv / shm vs. shmop)?
>

> Thread on sablotron list:
> http://archive.gingerall.cz/archives/public/sablot2002/msg01713.html

http://www.bumblebury.com/phptodo/xmsl.html

my thoughts on the matter... If you really want to handle XML, XSLT and
the like in PHP, the solution is to build a standardized, documented,
DOM, SAX, XPath, XInclude, XPointer interface, and then have functions
which wrap around these to apply XSLT transformations.  Xalan/Xerces,
Sablotron/Expat, and Libxslt/Libxml all provide, or aim to provide good
support for these things.  Libxml/Libxslt seem to be the most developed
at this point, so I'd suggest bundling them and then working on a
unified extension based on them...

Just my 2c, not really interested in taking the project further...

-Sterling