>    why would one want to have different executors/compilers in
>    different threads?

I can't answer this question Thies, and one could achieve it as-is by
having a thread safe delegator, but as far as possible I'd suggest that
publicly exposed features of the engine should work across supported
platforms, and isn't the case with these hooks.

I remember the days when myself and other kids were writing machine
code non-flicker software on Sinclair ZX80's, and that was thought of
as 'impossible' (as the CRT hardware was driven by software and any
operations caused flicker), but actually this was possible if you'd a
Z80 handbook to hand and didn't mind counting instruction cyles on all
the possible branch paths, and pulled some tricks.

This is just in my view and experience, but people will always use
features and do things that designers of said features could never have
conceived. Equally people will solve problems in different ways to
others, and one has to mindful of this and accordingly endeavour to
design without artificial constraints. If one knows that modifiable
globals should be made thread safe on a threaded server then unless
there's a good reason to not do it, it should be done, and not omitted
just because the developer 'didn't think that it would be useful'.
Genuine omissions, as was probably the case here, are fine, and we all
make them, but should then be scheduled for correction once discovered
for the benefit of future developments, and to improve the quality of
the product as a whole.